Sunday, 9 November 2014

Witch Way's the Party?

I love this witch digistamp from Wee Stamps, but I don't have any Halloween cards to send, so I decided to make a card with it to enter in the Simply Cards and Papercraft competition.  I wanted to make my own patterned paper and use my silhouette to make a 3-step card.  It's my favourite type of card to make at the moment.

I needed to use thick card (centura pearl) to take the distress stains I wanted to use, but I didn't want to make the card too bulky, so I decided to create false layers by masking off the necessary areas on the card.  I printed the sentiments I wanted, then drew the outlines of the layers with my silhouette, using registration marks so the machine cuts in the correct place.  I then stamped a leaf design from Inkilicious and heat embossed it with clear powder.

I then used distress stains in Picked Raspberry, Dusty Concord and Spicy Marmalade to colour over the image.  I have found you can use distress stains in the same way as the inks, if you scribble the stain onto a Splodgeaway mat (or similar) and blend it with your foam or Inkilicious Dusters before putting it on your paper.  

I removed the masks and splashed water and more stain in drips on the page, blotting with kitchen towel. I ironed the card between copy paper to remove the embossing powder.  I outlined the sentiments and blank space with a black fineliner and then cut out the layers with my trusty Silhouette.  I layered these onto black card before sticking in place inside the card blank.

I made the topper in the same way. I can't colour onto Centura Pearl, so I printed my digistamp onto Neenah cardstock and cut it our with the Silhouette. I used promarkers to colour the image, with a sakura stardust pen and some glossy accents for hilights.

I added some extra details with a paintbrush and distress stain. I had a total nightmare with my sentiment, nothing I tried looked right.  I ended up colouring some alphabet stickers with my stains, and used glitter for a bit more emphasis and texture.  Having taken a photograph I think I need to hilight the sentiment a bit more.

I added some paper flowers coloured with the same stains (they're so versatile!) and that's it!  I just need to make an envelope to fit, and I'll be finished.

It's only taken me all week!


No comments:

Post a Comment